Descriptor Definitions (Mark all that apply):
- Acetaldehyde - Green apple-like aroma and flavor.
- Alcoholic - The aroma, flavor, and warming effect of ethanol and higher alcohols. Sometimes described as "hot."
- Astringent - Puckering, lingering, harshness and/or dryness in the finish/aftertaste.
- Diacetyl - Artifical butter, butterscotch or coffee aroma and flavor. Sometimes perceived as a slickness on the tongue.
- DMS (dimethyl sulfide) - At low levels a sweet, cooked or canned corn-like aroma and flavor.
- Estery - Aroma and/or flavor of any ester (fruits, fruit flavorings or roses)
- Grassy - Aroma/flavor of fresh-cut grass or green leaves.
- Light struck - Similar to the aroma of a skunk.
- Metallic - Tinny, coiny, copper, iron or blood-like flavor.
- Musty - Stale, musty or moldy aromas/flavors.
- Oxidized - Any one or combinations of winy/vinous, cardboard, papery, or sherry-like aromas and flavors.
- Phenolic - Spicy (clove, pepper), smokey, plastic adhesive strip and/or medicinal (chlorophenolic.)
- Solvent - Aromas and flavors of higher alcohols (fusel alcohols.) Similar to acetone or lacquer thinner aromas.
- Sour/Acidic - Tartness in aroma and flavor. Can be sharp and clean (lactic acid) or vinegar-like (acetic acid.)
- Sulfur - The aroma of rotten eggs or burning matches.
- Vegetal - Cooked, canned or rotten vegetable aroma and flavor (cabbage, onion, celery, asparagus, etc.)
- Yeasty - A bready, sulfury or yeast-like aroma or flavor.
- Scoring Guide
- Outstanding (45 - 50): World-class example of style
- Excellent (38 - 44): Exemplifies style well, requires minor fine-tuning
- Very Good (30 - 37): Generally within style parameters, some minor flaws
- Good (21 - 29): Misses the mark on style and/or minor flaws
- Fair (14 - 20): Off flavors, aromas or major style deficiencies
- Problematic (0 - 13): Major off flavors and aromas dominate
BJCP 14. Single Hop IPA (2012)
Subcategory: 14B. American IPA
Special Ingredients: Simcoe hops
Aroma (as appropriate for style) Comment on malt, hops, esters and other aromatics: 9 / 12
Very strong hop aroma with lots of citrus, mostly lemon, as well as some more subtle floral and piney notes. Very subtle sweet background from the malt.
Appearance (as appropriate for style) Comment on color, clarity, and head (retention, color, and texture): 3 / 3
Nice deep, crystal clear, coppery color with a somewhat thin white head, but with good head retention.
Flavor (as appropriate for style) Comment on malt, hops, fermentation characteristics, balance, finish/aftertaste, and other flavor characteristics: 16 / 20
Strong hop presence of mostly lemony citrus notes, but with some subtle floral and piney notes as well. Medium-high bitter. Lightly sweet malty backbone, but it could be a little more prominent to help provide a better balance with the bitterness from the hops. Bitterness lingers a bit into a fairly dry finish.
Mouthfeel (as appropriate for style) Comment on body, carbonation, warmth, creaminess, astringency, and other palate sensations: 4 / 5
Smooth, medium-light body, moderately carbonated.
Overall Impression (as appropriate for style) Comment on overall drinking pleasure associated with entry, give suggestions for improvement: 8 / 10
All in all this was a delicious beer with some nice prominent hop characteristics. I wish it had a slightly stronger malty backbone to help add a little more body and to better balance out some of the bitterness.
Total Score: 40 / 50
|Not To Style||Classic Example|