Descriptor Definitions (Mark all that apply):
- Acetaldehyde - Green apple-like aroma and flavor.
- Alcoholic - The aroma, flavor, and warming effect of ethanol and higher alcohols. Sometimes described as "hot."
- Astringent - Puckering, lingering, harshness and/or dryness in the finish/aftertaste.
- Diacetyl - Artifical butter, butterscotch or coffee aroma and flavor. Sometimes perceived as a slickness on the tongue.
- DMS (dimethyl sulfide) - At low levels a sweet, cooked or canned corn-like aroma and flavor.
- Estery - Aroma and/or flavor of any ester (fruits, fruit flavorings or roses)
- Grassy - Aroma/flavor of fresh-cut grass or green leaves.
- Light struck - Similar to the aroma of a skunk.
- Metallic - Tinny, coiny, copper, iron or blood-like flavor.
- Musty - Stale, musty or moldy aromas/flavors.
- Oxidized - Any one or combinations of winy/vinous, cardboard, papery, or sherry-like aromas and flavors.
- Phenolic - Spicy (clove, pepper), smokey, plastic adhesive strip and/or medicinal (chlorophenolic.)
- Solvent - Aromas and flavors of higher alcohols (fusel alcohols.) Similar to acetone or lacquer thinner aromas.
- Sour/Acidic - Tartness in aroma and flavor. Can be sharp and clean (lactic acid) or vinegar-like (acetic acid.)
- Sulfur - The aroma of rotten eggs or burning matches.
- Vegetal - Cooked, canned or rotten vegetable aroma and flavor (cabbage, onion, celery, asparagus, etc.)
- Yeasty - A bready, sulfury or yeast-like aroma or flavor.
- Scoring Guide
- Outstanding (45 - 50): World-class example of style
- Excellent (38 - 44): Exemplifies style well, requires minor fine-tuning
- Very Good (30 - 37): Generally within style parameters, some minor flaws
- Good (21 - 29): Misses the mark on style and/or minor flaws
- Fair (14 - 20): Off flavors, aromas or major style deficiencies
- Problematic (0 - 13): Major off flavors and aromas dominate
BJCP 18. Belgian Strong Ale (2012)
Subcategory: 18E. Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Special Ingredients: none really
Aroma (as appropriate for style) Comment on malt, hops, esters and other aromatics: 10 / 12
Sweet, fruity, malty and well balanced. Raisins, plums, dried cherry. I can't wait to taste it. Time to skip to the next category.
Appearance (as appropriate for style) Comment on color, clarity, and head (retention, color, and texture): 3 / 3
Strong head retention like I would expect to get from a draft beer at a bar. This beer is pretty and is on the darker level of the SRM chart (guessing 22ish), which is great. Nice ruby highlights that remind me of a girl named Rachel that I dated in High School.
Flavor (as appropriate for style) Comment on malt, hops, fermentation characteristics, balance, finish/aftertaste, and other flavor characteristics: 17 / 20
This is a good tasting beer that nails the style. It's sweet with low bitterness, well balanced. Nice fruitiness. This is what a dark strong is all about.
Mouthfeel (as appropriate for style) Comment on body, carbonation, warmth, creaminess, astringency, and other palate sensations: 4 / 5
Good carbonation with some smooth alcohol warmth that conjures up memories of drinking scotch and listening to smooth jazz.
Overall Impression (as appropriate for style) Comment on overall drinking pleasure associated with entry, give suggestions for improvement: 8 / 10
Total Score: 42 / 50
|Not To Style||Classic Example|